Dear diary,
Today was a day like no other. As you have know for quiet some time diary, I have never left my house. I have never found any reason to until today. As I was in my safe and dark house I heard a scream. The scream sounded like a child and I immediately tried to ignore it. However as seconds went by I found that one can not simply ignore the sounds of desperation. At that moment I became tired of how I has living. That person needed me and my reaction was turn the other way. I knew in my heart that that was wrong and for once I took a risk. Even a simple risk of walking to the front of the house, then by the windows, and finally to the front entrance. I held my breath as a opened the door for I cant remember the last time I opened my front door. Finally I was out. I quickly rushed to the cries that I heard in the distant hoping that I wasn't to late. There I saw Mr. Finch's son on the ground and I pick him up, rushing him to the safety of his house. Once I was inside I became horrified for I did not know what to do. As you may have guessed socializing isn't one of my strongest qualities. Fortunately for me Atticus Finch was busy on his son's safety and didn't notice me. I decided to take the opportunity to go and wait in a corner until I heard further news of the boy's condition and well being.
After the visit from good old Dr. Reynolds, the sheriff came by. As he entered the house I began to walk closer and closer to the wall's corners. As little Scout began to tell he accounts of the story the more glad I became that I was there to help. Then she turns and looks at me. I was expecting her to be very frightened since she and her brother tried so many times to get me to come out of my house but she just simple looked at me and said hello. As she showed me the way to the front porch I noticed that she had matured greatly since the tire accident last summer. As Mr. Tate and Atticus talk I quickly become intrigued with their discussion. How could a man blame his own son for a murder crime? How could he think that his son was capable of murdering Bob Ewell? I decided that I could look at it from his perspective. I found that he is a man of his word and honesty is a quality he cherishes greatly. He believes in the truth and that all he wants is for his children to be proud of him . If he covers up what he believes to be the truth, then his morals his tried so hard to honor would be for not. Once I began to see Atticus for who he really was I understood why he wanted to put his child on trial for the murder he thought he committed. Although I personally would have let the situation be and take the sheriff's word for the situation, I saw were he was coming from . My initial thought of Atticus shifted from him being an old man who confused me greatly to one who seeks justice and honesty for the respect of his community, children, and himself.
I am writing to you diary tonight because I have learned that life is more complex than what it may seem to be. The world is full of people with different sides to them and that one has to see their point of view in order to understand them better. Its getting late and I better go but because of tonight the fear of society judging me for my past scares me a little less.
No comments:
Post a Comment