In the book To Kill A MockingBird by Harper lee chapter eleven, I made a connection with the character Jem . When Mrs.Dubose says that she wished Atticus had gotten remarried, Scout says, " I did not remember our mother , but Jem did- he would tell me about her sometimes"(100). The situation of Jem remembering something but Scout not being able to because she is too little reminds me of when I used to live in North Bend Washington. For the first eight of my life I grew up in a little green house on a neighborhood. There were beautiful mountains in the background and a big cherry tree in my backyard. My life in Washington was very impactful on me as I learned how to prepare myself for an earthquake as well as to call soda "pop". My sister doesn't remember anything from our life in Washington since she was very little. Since she doesn't remember she had an easier time adjusting to our family moving to Massachusetts. I had all these memories of Washington, and had to leave all my friends I had made. My little sister on the other hand couldn't remember anything and she grew up with a fresh start without leaving anything behind. Jem has the burden of knowing his mother and forming a connection with her and having to deal with her being gone. Scout doesn't remember her and isn't as sad as Jem since she didn't make a connection with her mother.
when Jem becomes a teenage and is entering adulthood he tells Scout, "It's time you start bein' a girl and acting right!"(115). From the situation I didn't understand why Jem was so interested in how Scout should act. I was also questioning why Scout has to act a certain way. Girls should not have to act like a "girl" since each girl is different and to force them to act one certain way is not fair and un realistic. Women and girls are expected to be polite, kind, sit properly, say the right things, know how to cook and clean and know table manners. In reality most girls do not want to act this way since it is not who they are. women and girls are perceived as being weak since they are not as strong physically as men. However women and girls are strong in other aspects in life. Men as well should not be defined who they are based on gender. The stereo type of men not sharing how they feel because they are expected to have it together all the time should not be the case since everyone is different and some men may be more opened about their feeling than others. The idea of stereotypes aren't wrong but assuming everyone is like the stereotypes is.
Great response, Izzy!
ReplyDelete