Tuesday, December 16, 2014

TKAM chapters 26 & 27

 In the book To Kill A MockingBird by Harper Lee there were many connection I made and many things in the chapters I could relate to. When Maycomb decides to have a pageant for Halloween Jem, "Considered himself too old for Halloween... He said he wouldn't be caught anywhere near the high school at something like that"(252). I connected this to myself . Because I'm the oldest in my family I tend to feel older than I really am and often feel to old for family activities my family tires to plan. My mom last year wanted to take the family to Story land because my little sister wanted to go. I however wasn't too thrilled since it is an amusement park for younger kids. The thought of taking a picture with humpty dumpty seemed rather embarrassing and humiliating. Like Jem I felt too old for going, and tried to persuade my mom to not take me and make it an event for just my little sister and her to enjoy. Despite my best efforts my sister wanted me there with her and I decided to go since I wanted to make her happy. In the book Jem ends up going the pageant to please Scout.



I also made a connection to Scout dressing up as a ham. In chapter twenty seven, when Scout is part of the holiday festival/ pageant Mrs.Merriweather, " Thought it would be adorable if some children were costumed to represent the county's agricultural products: Cecil Jacobs would be dressed up to look like a cow.. another child would be a peanut."(252). When Scout is picked to be a ham I immediaty thought  of the time I dressed up as an elephant. I was three when I dressed up in a one piece costume of an elephant for Halloween. Although dressing up as an elephant isn't as humorous as a ham I wore my costume the whole year. No matter what my mom tried to do to get me to take it off I  simply wouldn't take my beloved costume off. Eventually my mom gave up and  I ended up wearing it for about a year. I remember than it started to shrink and get snug since I grew a lot that year. I would get the strangest looks as I wore my costume to the grocery store or the playground. Like Scout I was very pleased and proud to wear my costume. However looking back on my childhood I cant believe I did that and am rather embarrassed by it instead of being proud when I was three.

No comments:

Post a Comment