Sounds, a wonderful thing one is lucky to experience in the world . Sounds are used for communication and is used as a way to contribute something great in society. However for me, Jane Marie Rose I haven't been able to experience this sensation as I was born into the world with the misfortune of not being able to hear. I woke up to the vibrations of my little brother Tommy jumping on my bed. He was rambling on and on about something but before I could make it out he rushed out of the room. Fully alerted and awake, I quickly made the decision to go to the bathroom before my other siblings stole it and keep the only bathroom in the house to themselves. Today was not my day as my older sister had gotten there first. I knocked on the door. In reply I heard a loud noise of what seemed as anger and annoyance. After waiting for what seemed to be an eternity I finally was able to get dressed and ready for yet another day school. Its bad enough that today I was running late but the fact that today was my first day in a brand new school made it that much more stressful. My mom seemed to have forgotten about me as she left to take my two brothers to school and not me. At that moment I felt as though I had a great opportunity and decided that I was done being the new deaf girl at schools with no friends , at that moment I felt as though I could do whatever I wanted to do today since I was invisible to my parents and siblings and wouldn't be noticed. I grabbed my bag and a granola bar and headed out on my adventure for that awaited me that day. the cool breeze brushed against my face and wavy red hair. I decided to set my course to an old shed by acorn avenue. The world I live in is made up pure silence. I am lucky enough to be able to read lips but I still have trouble making out what many people are saying since they talk too fast. When I was little I remember that I would get angry that I couldn't understand what anyone was saying and would sit on the floor crying only to become more angry and terrified that I couldn't hear my own voice coming out of my mouth. Once I reached the old abandoned shed I sat done in one of the cob web infested corners. there I poured my thoughts, my opinions, and views on the world and society in my little black notebook. My life has been filled with the sounds of my thoughts swirling in my head. My little black book is the only thing that I can use to express my thoughts in the way I see it as. Sure I can sign with my parents so they know what im trying to say but they will never fully understand. Maybe its just my teenage stage of nobody understands me but I have always felt this way. Sign language is the only thing I have to communicate with the world and many don't know how to sign making my only source of communication useless.
After I have vented in my notebook I decide to go on a walk to the river in holy berry park. As I set out, I realize that my phone had multiple texts from my mother saying that she heard I didn't go t school and that when she finds me I am going to be grounded for three weeks. I think to myself how funny it is since the one time my mother decides to take an interest in me its about how I disappointed her and made her angry. I reluctantly decide that I should get back home before I make things worse.
When I got home I am greeted by my mother flaring her arms at me. Only when she is really mad does she sign with ridiculous emphasize on every single sign she make with her hands. she tells me that she doesn't know what t do with me anymore and that she is sick of me disappearing all the time on her. I begin to explain to her that it was her fault since she forgot to take me to school and that I was sick of her always forgetting about my. I sign to her " just because I cant talk doesn't mean I don't exist, I have a voice just like everyone else !!! why do you always see me as a daughter who cant talk and don't see me as anything else!" I storm into my room and slam the door. After a few minutes my mom opens the and signs to me, " I don't see you that way Janie , you have so much to offer the world and you cant let you being deaf be an excuse to everything that goes wrong in your life. You see the world differently from others but that's not always a bad thing." she then gives me a hug and kisses me on the forehead. How is it that mom are able to melt away all ones anger with a few words and a hug. I decide to go to bed before anyone else. Tomorrow I will go to school and show the world what Jane Marie Rose has to offer the world
Really good! I love all of the little details like the cobwebs on the corner and her brother jumping on her bed. I could really feel Jane's emotions. On the last sentence, I would remove ' the world' at the end, but other than that, great job. It felt a little too similar to your life, which isn't bad, but I feel like you could have stepped out of your comfort zone a little more. :)
ReplyDelete